The bike and the chain are inseparable. Unfortunately a chain can come off… we've all experienced it, you're on your way and your chain comes off. You're on a cycle path, it's probably raining and you need to put your bike upside down and try to get the chain back on. Dirty hands guaranteed… BUT...with a belt drive you’ll never have to do this again!
What is a belt drive?
A belt drive is a plastic drive that is more generally associated with sports bikes, but these days a belt drive is also used on urban bikes. The major benefits of a belt drive over a chain are:
- It lasts up to four times longer than a traditional chain
- There is less friction, making the bike lighter and easier
- It makes less noise whilst you cycle
- It barely needs any maintenance
- It doesn't have to be lubricated, so no dirty hands
- It cannot rust
- A chain guard is no longer necessary, because your trousers cannot get stuck in the chain and the belt drive doesn't mind a bit of rain or dirt